Sunday, March 27, 2011

I am a Muslim: A messenger to the world that fears us.


Screen collage of "Muslim Woman Offset" made by Artist Shepard Fairey distributed by OBEY GIANT


After Watching the CNN special "In Key American Muslim enclave, alienation is growing" I find it mind boggling the depth of misconceptualizing and misinterpreting Islam as a religion and the implementation of Sharia Law.

I've been asked questions about who I am, what I am, and where I'm from. Why do I not wear a Hijaab? What is the purpose of a Hijaab? Do you get beaten by the men in your family? why do I pray 5 times a day? why do I fast for a full month? and why do the months shift? What is the big black box in the Middle East? why don't you drink alcohol? Why can't you eat bacon? Ha , and my favorite one, Why can't you marry a non-muslim?


My thoughts before I answer has gone from "Have you not read a book? Do you not know anything other than christianity and/or judaism? why this Again?" to "Ahreej, simply answer their question, at least now they've learned more about your faith than they ever knew before".


But this wasn't even a conscious effort, I've found it to be a way of life. My name meant something different, it was then explained to be Arabic, which then triggered the connection of the Arab world to Islam, then the question of "If you don't mind me asking, what is your faith?" Then the series of questions that starts a hour (plus) long conversation..


So I've grown to be patient, careful, and as clear and elaborative as I can with my answers. I now realize that every Muslim in America has been given the duty of being a messenger of our faith to the world that fears us. We must uphold the image of spirituality, serenity and peace but most importantly patience. As written in the Qura'n , and what I tell myself mostly every day "Inna Allah Ma'aa Al-Saabereen" Meaning "God is with whom is most patient."


Then as the number of questions added up and my answers have become filled with more details, I've realized that this is a war, a war of acceptance. This is a subconscious competition of superiority of faith and religion. This is also fear. Those who fear are driven by anxiety of the unknown, driven by blinded anger, and those who fear are hollow, empty, and lack true value of knowledge. And those who have courage will have no fear.

Does that mean that most of the world is fearful and muslims have built this natural sense of courage? No, Muslims fear as well, but we don't fear the fear of the earth we fear the fear of not completing our tasks and duties we are obliged to as Muslims. We fear to have others fear us, because of our lack of true representation. We fear the disappointment of the Muslim victims of discrimination and fear the guilt of disregarding the pride we have as muslims, but most importantly we fear Allah's disappointment, and as his slave, being the messenger to the world that fears us, is the least I can do.


1 comment: